Saturday, September 22, 2012

Back To Business!

I really should have used the slow summer months more wisely. It has dawned on me that I have just two and a half months before the big Castle Band Art and Craft Show- which is December 1st, by the way.  I do have quite a few items made, but need more. I especially need to work on sock monkeys for the show.  I'm starting to get busy again with custom orders which is great, and I was smart and made up a bunch of monkey bodies ready to stuff and finish. So that should save some time. I have never done monkeys this way before and  I don't know why I haven't. I usually do one whole monkey at a time. It definately makes more sense to do all the machine stitching for several monkeys at the same time while the machine is all set up and I'm in a sewing groove.

3 comments:

  1. There are times when I can do the 'assembly line' routine to get things done. It is much more efficient, in my opinion. But sometimes I'm just impatient and want to get a whole one done by itself. I guess it depends on my mood and the timeline I'm working with. I LOVE your sock monkeys!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Sylvie! I love making them, I love the requests from customers and the whole process of trying to figure out how to make someone's request a reality. I have very rarely made the same type of monkey twice. The surfer girl and the French theme monkey have been requested twice, but even those were not identical. I know what you mean and when I'm working on a custom monkey I pretty much work on it exclusively from start to finish. For a craft show, where customization is not an issue, I can go more the assembly line route:) thanks for the comment:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know the feeling, Kelly. The craft fair I'm at is November 19 and I'm nowhere near ready. Your sock monkeys are adorable!

    ~jen
    http://jenstangledthreads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete