Friday, May 18, 2012

My First Post

This is my first blog post. I thought I would start by telling  you a little about me. I am a SAHM of 2 boys. I have a BA in Art and Art Education. I am a part-time substitute teacher and a naptime, evening, and weekend artist.  Last year I opened my shop on Etsy- Kelly Spencer Studios- Vintage inpired mixed media arts and gifts at www.KellySpencerStudios.Etsy.com     When I first opened my shop I intended to focus primarily on my mixed media artwork, paintings, and a few other crafts. In my constant search for interesting papers to use for my mixed media work and craft work, I came across this really cute sock monkey paper. I thought, I bet I could make a sock monkey, so I did some research and made 7 for my neices and nephews for Christmas. They were a hit, so I decided maybe I would make one or two for my shop and just see what happens. Well they sold, so I made a few more and they sold.  took a few to a local art and craft fair, they did well too. I then decided that I wanted to make these sock monkeys something special, so  I began making  custom/ personalized sock monkeys. These custom monkeys have become my biggest seller on Etsy. I truly enjoy making them and working with customers in creating something truly special and unique.  In February, I started thinking about other sock creatures and the natural next step was Sock Bunnies, well lets just say March was  a very busy month in my shop and the bunnies are still popular.   You can visit my FB fan page to see many more examples of my custom
sock bunnies and monkeys and some of my other artwork at   www.facebook.com/KellySpencerStudios

All monkeys and bunnies are handmade by me with all new materials and 100% polyester supreme fiberfill.
It just goes to show that you never really know what is going to be your big seller. It may not be what you expect at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment